Northern Michigan University - Call  906–227–1000 or visit nmu.edu

This Week in the MHSAA – Week of Oct. 7

Posted on October 8, 2013 in Michigan Sports News.

FIRST CHAMPS CROWNED – The first MHSAA Champions of the 2013-14 school year were claimed last week in Upper Peninsula Girls Tennis by Kingsford in Division 2 and Ishpeming Westwood in Division 2. MHSAA.TV will have a highlights package from the Finals available next week.

We’re a week away from action below the bridge, when Lower Peninsula tournaments in Boys Soccer, Girls Golf and Boys Tennis take place.

The field for the MHSAA Football Playoffs grew significantly last week, with the addition 64 additional teams to grow that list to 66 schools. There are another 87 teams now one win away from qualification.

BROADCASTERS GET READY! – Now that team tournaments are on the horizon, audio and video broadcasters should prepare to make application with the MHSAA Office to be able to originate playoffs in all sports. If your outlet already has an account with us from previous years, you should be all set. If not, email us at media@mhsaa.com to get set up.

Video outlets have a new requirement this year that was described in the MHSAA Multimedia Regulations that were emailed to everyone in August, and which are available for download from the MHSAA Website. As a condition of being approved to originate video of available games, an outlet must at its own expense submit to the NFHS Network, within 72 hours of their first airing of the event and electronic version of the broadcast suitable for airing. Submission information will be included with your approved broadcast applications.

TOURNAMENT MEDIA INFORMATION & INTERACTIVE BRACKETS NOW AVAILABLE – On the Media Tournament Information page of the MHSAA Website are PDF files with information on all Fall tournaments – such as ticket prices and Finals site information. Referring to this information can save you a phone call or two. Print out the entire set and post them in your sports department for easy reference.

Interactive tournament brackets can be found on the respective sports pages. Lower Peninsula Boys Soccer pairings for District play are now available, and Girls Volleyball pairings will be available soon.

THIS WEEK’S TROPHY GAMES – Every week, we’ll list here trophy games that we’re aware of – not only on the gridiron – but in all sports. This week’s trophy games are:

• Little Brown Jug – Howell at Brighton- Football – Friday
  • Baseline Jug – Northville at Novi – Football – Friday
  • Cedar Log – Marinette (WI) at Menominee – Football – Saturday
  • Champions of the North – Traverse City Central at Alpena – Football – Friday
  • Ford Cup – Newberry at Manistique – Football – Friday
  • Pioneer-Thunderbird Spirit Bowl – Dearborn at Dearborn Edsel Ford- Football – Friday
  • Battle of Bogie Lake Road – White Lake Lakeland at Walled Lake Northern – Football – Friday
  • Skipper’s Oar – Waterford Mott at Waterford Kettering – Football – Saturday

If there’s a trophy game you want to make us aware of, send us an e-mail at media@mhsaa.com. Include a little bit of the history behind the rivalry, the trophy being played for, and send us a photo of the trophy.

MHSAA PERSPECTIVE – Our weekly audio commentary, MHSAA Perspective, is in its ninth season. The program is available as an mp3 download from the home page of the MHSAA Website, and is posted each Monday morning The program runs four minutes each week, and is sponsored by the Michigan Army National Guard. Over 80 outlets across the state will carry Perspective, and the complete list is posted on the Perspective Home Page, along with when the program will air each week.

This week’s Perspective: Big Picture (Left click to listen, right click to save). In this week’s edition of Perspective, John Johnson talks about the actions of the Concord High School volleyball teams to help a player on the Union City High School volleyball team whose family had lost their home in a fire.

WE’VE GOT HIGHLIGHTS! – The return of the School Broadcast Program for the new year also means the return of a weekly highlights package from selected games from the previous week on MHSAA.tv. This week’s highlights from the week of Sept. 30 feature football games between Central Lake at Indian River Inland Lakes; Hudsonville at Rockford; and Mio at Rogers City. To join the School Broadcast Program, contact us at media@mhsaa.com for more information.

UPDATE MEETING SERIES UNDERWAY – The MHSAA’s annual UPDATE Meeting series is underway. The UPDATE meetings begin at Noon with lunch at most sites and are for school administrators to get some insight into current issues within the MHSAA. MHSAA Executive Director John E. “Jack” Roberts will make the presentation at each site. Media are invited to attend, but must make advance reservations at media@mhsaa.com. Here are the remaining UPDATE meetings:

• Oct. 7 – Comstock Park – English Hills Country Club
  • Oct. 9 – Frankenmuth – Zehnder’s Restaurant
  • Oct. 10 – Lansing – Best Western Plus
  • Oct. 14 – Gaylord – Otsego Club & Resort
  • Oct. 25 – Marquette – Superior Dome (10 a.m. No lunch will be served at Marquette)

CHECK OUT JACK ROBERTS’ BLOG— MHSAA Executive Director John E. “Jack” Roberts is the only executive director of a state high school athletic association in the country to blog on a regular basis, and he posts entries on our website every Tuesday and Friday with his thoughts about high school sports throughout the summer.

Here are his entries from last week:

Oct. 4 – Sixth Graders’ Place – “Today, in many places, 6th-graders have aged-out of non-school, community sports, but they are not permitted to play on MHSAA junior high/middle school teams.”

Oct. 1 – Middle School Limits – “There is another educationally grounded and equally astute group of administrators and coaches who are concerned that the current limits are too severe in comparison to non-school youth sports programs.”

You can Jack’s blog follow through the home page of the MHSAA Website, or go directly to the current archives page by clicking here.

FINALS ROUND HISTORIES UPDATED ON FINALS NOTES PAGE – The Finals Round Histories portion of the MHSAA Website has been updated through the end of the 2012-13 school year in all team sports except football. Click on any of the available sports to see how a school has performed historically in Quarterfinal, Semifinal and Final games. This information is available on the Finals Notes page of the Website – https://www.mhsaa.com/news/mediainformation/finalspressnotes.aspx