(WARREN, Mich.) – The arrival of fall brings another Special Olympics Michigan (SOMI) statewide event, the 2013 State Soccer Finals presented by Real Estate One. Nearly 900 Special Olympics Michigan athletes and more than 250 coaches and chaperones from around the state will gather on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19 at Halmich Park in Warren. For the 33rd consecutive year, Club General Motors will be hosting the tournament.
This tournament includes 11-a-side; 7-a-side and 5-a-side traditional along with individual soccer skills. Other highlights include Young Athletes™ Program which is an innovative sports play program for children ages 2-7 prior to their eligibility to participate in Special Olympics at age 8. As a component of the Healthy Athletes® Program, athletes will have the opportunity to participate in FUNfitness, which was developed by the American Physical Therapy Association and will be staffed by physical therapists. Athletes will be tested on flexibility, strength and balance.
The State Soccer Finals is one of a dozen state-level competitions held annually for SOMI athletes. There are also more than 440 annual local and regional competitions.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18 – SOCCER
- 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Arrival & Registration Halmich Park Pavilion
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Souvenirs Halmich Park Pavilion
- 2:30 p.m. – Coaches Meeting Halmich Park
- 3:30 p.m. – Soccer Competition Begins Halmich Park
- 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Dinner GM VEC Building
- 7:30 p.m. – Opening Ceremonies GM VEC Building
- 8:00 p.m. – 9:15 p.m. – Victory Dance GM VEC Building
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19 – SOCCER
- 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Soccer Competition Halmich Park
- 9:00 a.m. – Skills Registration Halmich Park Pavilion
- 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – FUNfitness Program Halmich Park
- 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Special Events Halmich Park
- 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Souvenirs Halmich Park Pavilion
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – Individual Skills Test Halmich Park
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Young Athletes ™ Program Halmich Park
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Lunch Halmich Park
It is recommended that spectators bring lawn chairs for seating purposes.
MEDIA NOTE: Special Olympics Michigan athletes, volunteers and coaches will be available for interviews and photographs throughout the day.
High-resolution event photos will be available for viewing and download on the SOMI Flickr page on Friday night.