Marquette County Transit Authority - Road Tested and Passenger Approved

Marquette Redmen Varsity Soccer Team Wins U.P. Finals

Posted on October 20, 2019 in Michigan Sports News. Tags: , , , , , , , , , .

The Marquette Redmen boys varsity soccer team capped off their 12-5-1 season by winning the varsity U.P. Finals in Marquette Saturday 10-19.

In game 1, Marquette beat Iron Mountain 4-0. Senior captain Trevor Salmon started the scoring off an assist from senior Mack Vezina. Vezina extended the lead with an assist credited to sophomore Axel Vermaat. Freshmen Nick Asmus made it 3-0 before halftime with a Salmon assist.

In the second half sophomore Zane Phillips finished the scoring with an unassisted goal. Sophomore Harrison Anthos faced 8 shots in net with the shutout.

In the championship game, Marquette faced Kingsford who beat Bayside of Escanaba in the other consolation game. Marquette jumped out to an early lead when senior Joe Lagrou blasted in an unassisted goal from just outside the 18 yard box. Salmon then made it 2-0 with a penalty kick conversion. Before the half, Kingsford was able to cut the lead 2-1.

Marquette’s Joe Lagrou advances the ball versus Kingsford (MSHS Soccer photo)

In the second half, Kingsford tied the game 2-2 about 5 minutes into the half. From there, it was all Marquette scoring 4 unanswered goals for the 6-2 win. Vermaat had the game winner off a Vezina assist. Salmon made it 4-2 on his 33rd goal of the season from a sophomore Nick Lindberg pass. Asmus scored his second of the tourney with an assist from John Weber (sophomore). Freshmen Max Dawson capped off the scoring from a Vermaat pass.

Sophomore Harrison Anthos faced 11 shots in net.

Head Coach Dan Menze said, “It was an amazing season and really ended on an amazing note, couple of players scored their first varsity goals in a couple of our biggest games of the season, and the seniors and all the kids really poured it all out on the field for the final two games of the season, couldn’t be happier with the results. (We) Played a very solid match against I.M., they came out fast and physical but we were able to overcome and took the lead off of a beautiful shot from Trevor Salmon and never looked back. The Kingsford game was a really tuff fought first half, both teams missing some good opportunities, after being up 2-1 at half we felt good about the game but kingsford got a free kick and after a weird bounce had a great shot from outside the 18. We responded after they tied it up – everyone stepped up and really controlled the game from there and were able respond quickly and kinda take the wind out of there sails and we capitalized on our chances. What a beautiful day it was and some great soccer to watch with a great team to be able to coach, amazing group of young men.”

This is Marquette’s 12th straight UP boys soccer title.

Photo – UP Champions, Marquette Redmen (Jon Young photo)  Photo – Marquette’s Joe Lagrou advances the ball versus Kingsford (MSHS Soccer photo)