Rent An Edge of Reality Station and Get One Free on Any Weekday

The Undefeated Marquette Redmen Soccer Team Battled the Flivvers in Kingsford Winning 7-1

Posted on September 23, 2020 in Sports News - Yooper & Michigan. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Marquette, MI  –  September 24, 2020  –  The Marquette Redmen traveled to Kingsford Thursday night for the fourth meeting of the season between the two teams. The undefeated Redmen continued to roll with a 7-1 win.

“Kingsford played us tough tonight and I am happy on how we responded. Cam Larson played some exceptional defense while Axel Vermaat added some solid offensive play.” – coach Dan Salmon.

Marquette opened the scoring with a Connor Johnson (senior) goal off a Nick Lindberg (junior) assist. Junior Axel Vermaat made it 2-0 off a pass from freshmen Ethan Sandstrom just before halftime. Lindberg scored next from a sophomore Max Dawson assist. Making it 4-0 was Vermaat again from a junior Hayden Byma pass which came in from a sophomore Ezra Pickard corner kick. Johnson scored his second of the night from Sandstrom before sophomore Nick Asmus notched the final two goals. The first assisted by junior John Weber and the second by Lindberg. Kingsford’s goal was scored by Cedric Henricksen when Marquette lead 6-0. Senior Liam Jeevar faced 10 shots in net.

Marquette now has a record of 6-0-1 and host Iron Mountain Thursday 10-1.

“Johnson’s second goal was pure effort – trapping a high ball while fending off a defender then putting it in with his left foot. It was the play of the game”

Photo – Marquette’s Cam Larson (6 in white) steals the ball from a Kingsford player. (MSHS Soccer photo)