Michigan Landscape Photography from Saddleback Photo

The Marquette Redmen Boys Soccer Team Wins 13th Straight UP Finals Title

Posted on October 18, 2020 in U.P. Sports News. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

On Saturday, October 17, Marquette faced Houghton in the only game of the UP finals. Kingsford and Iron Mountain were unable to come due to quarantine Covid restrictions. The game was played on a frost covered field in the snow in Marquette. Senior Connor Johnson got the scoring started with an assist credited to junior Nick Lindberg. Sophomore Max Dawson scored the first of his three goals off an assist from sophomore Nick Asmus. First half scoring wrapped up with a goal from Lindberg which was assisted by Johnson. Senior Liam Jeevar faced two shots in net. In the second half, Marquette continued rolling with another Max Dawson goal assisted by Asmus. Sophomore Ezra Pikard scored an unassisted goal from a corner kick to make it 5-0. The sixth goal came from Johnson assisted by Dawson and then Dawson finished the scoring with an assist going to junior Zane Phillips. Jeevar faced one shot in net in the second half. Marquette won the game 7-0. The win concluded an undefeated season for the Redmen which went 9-0-1 and outscored their opponents 63-4.

Evan Sysko (14 pink) dribbles the ball up the field vs Houghton - MSHS Soccer photo

Evan Sysko (14 pink) dribbles the ball up the field vs Houghton – MSHS Soccer photo

“We build our team around our defense and our primary goal is to not get scored on. With that in place and working, the offense came to life and put a lot of goals in this year. It made for a great winning combination and it shows”  “With the uncertain season as it unfolded and games being canceled, we were just happy to make it to the end and still be playing games”

– coach Dan Salmon.

The win marks the 13th straight UP finals title for Marquette.

As pictured: UP Champs – front row l-r, Axel Vermaat, Nick Asmus, Evan Sysko, Camden Larson, Ezra Pickard, Michael Poggi, Max Dawson, Harrison Anthos, assistant coach Paul Lagrou.
Back row l-r, Head coach Dan Salmon, volunteer coach Trevor Salmon, Hayden Byma, Lewis Goff, Enzo Stabile, Liam Jeevar, Carter Beres, Nick Lindberg, Ben Gostomski, Zane Phillips, Owen Goymerac, Connor Johnson, Brett Wittler, John Weber, assistant coach Collin Lake (freshman Ethan Sandstrom was unable to make the game) – MSHS Soccer photo